Considering proper grooming is a MUST to keep the optimal health of your beloved horses.
But not all horse owners can afford a visit to a grooming shop.
And if you are in that case, why don’t you think of buying the best horse clippers?
Here we will show a list of top products from the market that can attract your attention instantly.
Check them out and find the perfect grooming tool for your four-legged friends.
Top 5 best horse clippers 2020 reviews
|Andis ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper, Professional Animal Grooming, AGC2||Heavy duty||$$$$||4.2|
|Wahl Professional Animal Show Pro Plus Equine Clipper #9482-700||Cheap||$$||4.3|
|Oster Clipmaster Variable Speed Clipping Machine||Best horse body clipper||$$$$$||4.1|
|Wahl Professional Animal Arco Equine 5-in-1 Cordless Horse Clipper (#8786-800)||Best cordless horse clipper||$$$||4.0|
|Oster Golden A5 Two-Speed Animal Grooming Clippers||For quick clipping||$$$||4.0|
If you are finding the best horse clippers in UK, you can try Masterclip Roamer – an efficiency cordless clipper with two hours run time a battery and fast cutting speed!
The AGC Super 2-Speed from Andis is described as a heavy duty, durable and versatile clipper.
It features both high and low speeds that are perfect for complete grooming. It even gives precise and crisp cuts on the horse’s hair without difficult. Plus, it boasts a quiet operation which is necessary to keep your sensitive equines calm.
This product includes an extra wide UltraEdge blade, allowing you to trim the horse’s hair precisely and efficiently. Since it has a unique chrome finish, it prevents the clipper from corrosion and rust, offering a long cutting solution.
And you don’t have to worry about changing or cleaning this blade because it’s effortless.
Although you might face some cord tangling possibilities since this clipper isn’t cordless, 14-ft heavy-duty long cord ensures you not to deal with any wear and tear.
- Runs smoothly and quietly
- Best for pro grooming
- Comes with an extra wide blade
- Easy to use, remove and store
- Gives a fast, light and clean cut
- 14’ heavy-duty cord for easy movement
- Suitable for trimming, not for body clipping
- Some need more blades instead of getting one
2. Wahl Professional Animal Show Pro Plus – Best Cheap Equine Clipper
If your main concern is to find a cheap horse clipper, the Show Pro Plus Equine Clipper from Wahl Professional Animal is what you want, guys.
Since it’s a medium-duty clipper, it’s only ideal for minimal clipping such as fetlocks, bridle path, ears and face on your horses. But it’s both comfortable and enjoyable for you and your horses since it’s incredibly compact and lightweight to use.
Moreover, this clipper is quiet and less vibration to take the proper care of delicate areas.
With an adjustable blade from #30 to #10, it helps to save your cost and storage space of 3 different blades.
One more great thing is that you will get a bonus face brush, an instructional DVD, and other accessories such as blade oil, blade guard, etc.
- Lightweight and compact
- Suits minimal clipping
- Works quietly, ideal for scaredy-cat horses
- Ergonomically designed
- Good warranty
- Comes with a low price
- Made in the USA, yet not designed for international use
- Easily clogs up when dealing with thick coats
3. Oster Clipmaster – Best Horse Body Clipper
Designed for total body clipping, the Oster Clipmaster is indeed a real beast. When clipping any horse with a thick coat, this clipping machine gets the job finished for sure.
One of the best features of this product is its different speed setting, ranging from 700 to 3,000 strokes per minute. Moreover, it comes with a flexible tension knob to adjust the blade as well as a quiet motor when using.
What we love about this clipper is its shatter-proof body. Since it’s made of a durable and robust material, you won’t meet any breakage because of a fall.
When it comes to a good clipping machine, this one is an excellent choice though its appearance isn’t as premium as others in this list.
However, you might consider before buying in case you have a limited budget.
- A powerful clipper for body clipping
- Ideal for large breed horses
- Designed for heavy-duty use
- Includes variable speed settings
- Durable, do not worry about breakage
- Offers a full kit with necessary accessories
- A high investment
- A bit noisy and heavy
4. Wahl Professional Animal Arco Equine 5-in-1 – Best Cordless Horse Clipper
If you need a versatile horse clipper that can be used at home and away, you shouldn’t miss the Arco Equine 5-in-1.
It’s a lightweight and cordless clipper that helps to trim your horses quickly and easily. Since it’s cordless, you even trim them while on their ranch.
What makes this product outstanding is its 5-in-1 detachable blade. It allows you to efficiently and quickly clip through any coat type. It also runs continuously for over 80 mins while requiring only 75 min of charging time.
And thanks to the ergonomic design, you can hold it in your hand comfortably and securely. Moreover, it prevents you from getting a wrist or shoulder fatigue while using.
Since it’s a high-quality clipping machine made by Wahl Professional Animal, you’re guaranteed of the Arco’s effectiveness.
Actually, it’s strong enough to trim through bridle paths and fetlocks while remaining necessary quietness. So, it helps to keep sensitive horses calm.
- Comes in handy at the barn
- Lightweight and ergonomic
- Long battery life (80 minutes)
- Features a great 5-in-1 blade
- Smooth and quiet enough
- Good warranty
- Since it works quickly, please move slowly to avoid cutting off more hair than intended
The last pick in our list belongs to the Oster Golden A5, which is designed for quick clipping.
With a 2-speed system, you can switch between them with ease. And its 12-ft cord gives excellent maneuverability when grooming your four-legged friends.
Featuring a detachable Cryogen-X blade, you’re guaranteed to use this product for a long time. Also, it’s resistant to corrosion and rust.
In general, this product is a popular clipper for those who want to trim small horses. It’s durable and comes with the right amount of power.
But you should be careful since it easily gets hot when using too much.
- Works perfectly for every purpose
- Less noise
- Features two powerful speeds as low and high
- Offer cooler, quicker and more versatile clipping
- Cryogen-X blade, for long-lasting performance and durability
- Affordably priced
- Make sure to use the lubricant on the blade before using
- Easily gets hot
How to choose the best horse clippers?
If you have an idea of choosing the clipper from our products above, don’t miss some crucial elements below to support you better.
An equine clipper comes with two blades, including the “comb” for the lower and the “cutter” on the top.
The comb feeds the hair through while the cutter cuts every hair. Depending on the cut’s purposes, you need to choose a suitable blade.
For instance, if you live in a warmer climate, your horses need a closer cut. In case you live in a cold environment, you need to leave a little longer hair to keep them warm.
Also, you should consider the ease of changing the blades.
If your clipper has the adjustable blade, it’s easy to move the cutter further or close to the comb. Or in case the blade is detachable, you can easily remove it.
To fixed-blade models, you need to do a bit more manual work to change the blades. Even some models only use a single blade size.
The horse clippers should be well-built and made of durable materials because they are intended for heavy-duty use.
We suggest buying the products that are made of aluminum or other metal without plastic parts.
However, be sure that it must be easy to grip and doesn’t create any fatigue in your hands while grooming in a long time.
Usually, the cordless horse clipper is much larger and can be a bit hard to handle. Meanwhile, the corded one is small because it doesn’t leave a slot for the batteries.
But the size of the clipper mainly depends on your agenda.
For example, if you are going to clip delicate areas of the horse like his neck and face, you need to opt for a small corded model.
There are three main kinds of the motor that are used to supply the power including rotary, pivot, and magnetic.
- Rotary motors are common. They work with the support of an electric part and a rotating disc. By using electricity, the disc will rotate and offer power to the blades. And you can control different speed levels via a switch.
- Pivoting motors include a magnet and only one hand. Since the magnet is fixed, you have the blades and hands moving. And people often risk pulling off the furs while using them.
- Magnet motors come with a magnetic field and a direct drive shaft. Unlike the pivoting motor, the magnet field here can regulate the blades back and forth. So, it’s helpful for small jobs as well as heavy-duty clipping.
A quick guide to clip your equine
Beginning in a non-sensitive area is the first and foremost thing. When moving the clipper to a part of the horse’s body, avoid touching ticklish places first such as his sides or neck.
The next thing is to turn the clipper on away from the horse’s body and let it run for some seconds.
Then start clipping by moving in the direction opposite of hair development. Try to clip lines straight and get rid of entire patches before moving onto other parts.
Additionally, you should notice the corners of the clipper to ensure you don’t poke your horse.
Continue clipping out long and narrow parts to obtain the evenest results. Then overlap every new strip of hair to prevent any uneven patches.
And when reaching a whorl in the coat, you should clip out the hair from other angles to remove it all.
Some parts of your equines might still have hair if you don’t perform a full clip. Hence, you need to avail a pair of cutting shears to trim down any remaining hair, typically surrounding the legs.
After finishing the job, you need to sweep and remove the hair left on the ground.
Since it doesn’t decompose, avoid putting in a compost pile. Instead, you should toss it out with the regular garbage.
Finally, you need to blanket your horses because they aren’t used to the temperature change as a result of having less hair.
If they have a thin coat, simply put a light blanket on them. Or in case the weather becomes cold, make sure to give them a thick winter blanket.
>>> Check now: Top 5 best horse blankets on the Market
- The clipper often heats up while using. So, you need to keep it cool with cooling fluid. Or turn it off and let it cool if necessary.
- Don’t clip too early, mid-spring or late in the year because this might interfere with the development of the horse’s coat in summer.
- Avoid clipping the day before horse shows or competition. Usually, the clipped hair needs 5 to 14 days or more to turn back to its dazzling state.
- If you are planning to clip near the tail and mane, make sure to wrap them and clip to the side to avoid cutting any long hairs. Or you can ask your friend or anyone to hold both to the side so that you can do with ease.
- In case you need to clip your horse’s face or any sensitive area, please leave it for last. And make sure you use the smaller clipper to perform.
What is your choice after all?
With top 5 best horse clippers above, we highly suggest the Andis AGC Super 2-Speed.
This product boasts an excellent two-speed rotary motor for those who want to perform pro grooming. Since it operates quietly, it’s convenient to use on the sensitive horses.
Importantly, it’s made by a popular brand, so you’re guaranteed to get the best result.
GET YOURS TODAY if you agree with us, guys!
Or in case you want to add more tools to groom your equines, you can consult one more post of the best horse grooming kit.
And don’t mind leaving your comments below to study anything related to this topic! We’d love to support you!
Table of Contents
- Top 5 best horse clippers 2020 reviews
- 1. Andis ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper, Professional Animal Grooming, AGC2
- 2. Wahl Professional Animal Show Pro Plus – Best Cheap Equine Clipper
- 3. Oster Clipmaster – Best Horse Body Clipper
- 4. Wahl Professional Animal Arco Equine 5-in-1 – Best Cordless Horse Clipper
- 5. Oster Golden A5 Two-Speed Animal Grooming Clippers
- How to choose the best horse clippers?
- A quick guide to clip your equine
- What is your choice after all?